What is happening to my FACE?
No one wants acne. Who gets acne and who does not can be a matter of luck. We have some hints to help combat acne.
Knowledge is power, so let me tell you why acne happens. Acne happens in the teenage years as hormones cause hair follicles, oil producing glands and sweat glands to mature in your skin. You develop a new type of gland, the apocrine sweat gland. This trifecta leads to an increase in oil production and makes your skin more susceptible to overgrowth of skin bacteria, particularly Propionibacterium Acnes.
Good things are also happening to your skin. Your outer layer of skin cells, the corneocytes, get larger. This makes your skin more resilient than child’s skin to the environment. The fat content of your skin increases, making you better at regulating your temperature than children. The addition of this under fat layer also helps keep in moisture.
How do you protect your skin? While you may be tempted to just scrub away at acne please be gentle with your skin.
- Popping pimples often leads to infections and can leave scars. There are so many skin products out there, make sure you choose one labeled “noncomedogenic” or “nonacnegenic.” That means it should not block your pores and cause acne.
- Diet is crucial as high glycemic foods like chocolate and soda can trigger acne.
- Avoid alcohol based products. Alcohol will strip away your natural moisture.
- Wear sunscreen. You do not want to damage your skin or get skin cancer.
- If you wear make-up, make sure you take it off before you go to sleep. Make-up can block your pores, aggravating or causing acne.
- Young women may choose to take birth control pills to control the hormones causing acne.
- Young men and women may take low dose antibiotics.
What can Ideal MedSpass do for you?
Conveniently located inside of Ideal Gynecology, we have Ideal MedSpass.
We have a variety of non-painful and actually pleasant treatments to help you fight your acne. Our aesthetician will assess your face individually and come up with a treatment plan designed just for you. If you need to consult with one of our practitioners for birth control pills or antibiotics, that is easily arranged.
You lie back in comfort as our aesthetician aims Blue LED light on your acne to kill Propionibacterium Acnes on your skin.
Facial lymphatic massage and treatment helps release debris under the skin and move it into your body’s own removal system.
Another great treatment, which would include the Blue LED light, is a Hydrafacial. Many people just come for a Hydrafacial because it feels so good, but it also is amazing for acne treatment. The Hydrafacial targets acne by cleansing, hydrating and exfoliating.
We also offer RF energy treatments aimed at your acne.
What if I already have scars? We have a variety of treatments, depending on your particular situation. We stimulate the skin’s healing process destroy the fibrotic tissue in the scar and trigger new skin growth. We will probably recommend about 6 sessions, but everyone is different.